Monday, February 20, 2006

Prophetic Dreams

The other night I went to sleep watching Psychic Detectives on Court TV. That reminded me of situation I went through in high school. I wouldn't believe in this kind of thing if someone else told me about it, but at the same time, I trust my own experiences. I was a junior in high school in Savannah at the time. One night I had a vivid dream that really shook me. In my dream, this kid named Peter at my school shot himself in the head. It was pretty disturbing, especially considering the amount of minute detail that I remembered upon awaking. Mind you, I didn't know Peter personally; I just recognized him as a fellow student of Windsor Forest High School. I dreamt about the house and the gun and the circumstances that led up to his accidental shooting. In my dream, he was sitting on the porch playing with a black and silver .38 when the gun went off and hit him in the dome. I then saw the blood and bits of brain matter hanging from his head. (sorry so graphic, but that image still haunts me.) I had never seen anyone being shot and I remember thinking that this is not like you see on TV. I woke up with a start and wondered why I had that crazy dream. The next morning as I pulled up to the school I was still in a daze, affected by the previous nights realistic dream. I was slouched in the back seat of the school bus listening to Too Short on my Sony Walkman, when I noticed a number of students outside crying. I made my way off the bus and found a familiar face and asked her what was wrong. She informed me that Peter had accidentally shot himself in the head last night and was dead....

I was in total shock, not only because death is not supposed to strike an 11th grader, but because for some reason I dreamt about that exact thing the previous night. I didn't tell anybody about my experience for fear that they wouldn't believe me. I tried to put it out my mind and not think about it and eventually convinced myself that it didn't happen. But a couple months later, it happened again. I had a dream about a classmate's parents that messed my head up again. Brandy was a girl who I shared a chorus class with. She lived around the corner from me, but I didn't know her family. In my dream, her father was chasing her mother out of their condo to a nearby gas station/corner store. He then shot her in the back. It wasn't as graphic as the Peter dream, so I didn't immediately make any connections. The next day I saw Brandy at school and considered telling her about my dream but then thought better of it. After school, I went to get my box haircut shaped up and while riding home from the barbershop passed the gas station from my dream. There were 5 police cars, and 2 ambulances and the whole area was cordened off with yellow police tape. Immediately, my mind to started to race and panic set in. I got home and called just about everyone I knew that knew Brandy. Nobody knew anything. Finally during the 11:00 news, they announced what I somehow already knew. It was a murder suicide attempt. Luckily, Brandy's mom made it, but her father managed to kill himself.

In the following weeks and months, I was almost afraid to go to sleep for fear that I would have another foreboding dream. Luckily, I have never experienced this again. It affected me intensely because I just could not understand why something like that would happen to me. I'm not exactly what you would call intuned with the supernatural and I am a natural skeptic. When people would talk about prophetic dreams or psychic phenomenon, I automatically question them. But when it happens to you, you have no choice but to at least question why or raise the possibility that it could actually happen. Has anybody else had any experience with this kind of thing?

It was written...

5 Comments:

Blogger unsaid said...

whoa...no i haven't. when i find out someone close to me has died i often have deja vu...but never any vivid dreams like this...ummm...if i show up dead in a dream...give me a call so i can prevent myself from dying. then i'll probably end up like final destination or something....still let me know!

Tue Feb 21, 03:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’ve had an experience like this before. I had a crush on this guy at work and my dream was about him. I dreamt that his wife caught him cheating with one of our co-workers. The dream was so detailed, certain things I saw vividly such as what his daughter and his wife looked like but I had never seen them before in my life. I also saw two rooms in his house and could describe them in perfect detail. I later told him about my dream and it did freak him out mostly because I described his wife, daughter and house perfectly ( he called me a stalker ha ha) but he told me later that the situation almost happened. I had another dream similar to this about another co worker dating a married man. I didn’t tell her anything but later I found it to be true.

I took a class last semester about dreams. My professor wrote an article that was published about the meaning of our dreams. He believes that sometimes we bring in other peoples subconscious because of what is going on in our lives. Sometimes this helps us make decisions that will change the rest of our lives. When I had those dreams I was going through a period of not being honest with myself and those I loved. Now would be a good time to look back and see if you made any impacting decisions around that time that could have changed your path in life.

Sorry for the long reply but your topic really got to me. Good Luck

Tue Feb 21, 08:00:00 PM  
Blogger nikki said...

i have, although it's been of a more tame nature than yours. i've dreamt of people i ended up meeting later, that's about it.

however, my father dreamt of his own death. actually, he dreamt he was headless. it was such a disturbing dream, he set up a trust fund for my brother and i the next day. two weeks later he was killed in an auto accident. he was decapitated.

Wed Feb 22, 02:34:00 PM  
Blogger Rashan Jamal said...

@ unsaid - I promise if I have a premonition about you, i'll let you know. and please forgive for taking so long to write that review. I'm on it.

@ anonymous: funny you ask about impactful decisions because I think this is when I stopped sleeping like a normal person, a pattern which I continue to this day.

@ nikki - wow, that's deep. do you think thats what actually happened or is it like family folklore?

Wed Feb 22, 07:05:00 PM  
Blogger nikki said...

it actually happened. my mom was sleeping next to my dad when he woke up in a cold sweat and told her about the dream. she was haunted by it for months afterwards. of course, there was nothing she could do about it, though.

Wed Feb 22, 09:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home