Friday, July 07, 2006

I Am Not My Hair

Inspiration - India.Arie feat Akon "I Am Not My Hair"

What I'm Listening To: 9th Wonder and Buckshot - "Chemistry"

Question(s) I Asked Myself Today - What was that Nickelodeon show that had that song "Picture Pages?" I'm about to hit up YouTube to find it after I finish this post.

I just came back from the barber shop (when I first started writing this) and as everyone can relate to, its hard to find a good barber/stylist. There's always some crazy, unprofessional shit going on. For example, one of the barbers was drinking a 40 oz. First of all, I didn't even know they still made 40's. And second of all, why would I get my haircut by someone who has been drinking. I've had enough bad haircuts from sober cats, I'm not gonna press my luck by letting a drunk cut my hair. Anyway, as I was sitting there trying to block out the inane conversation about how Lil Wayne is the greatest rapper alive followed by T.I. (I swear I need to get out of the south), I retreated into my mind and thought about some of my hair experiences. EDIT: I AM NOT DISSING THE SOUTH. THE CARTER WAS A GOOD ALBUM, BUT LIL WAYNE IS NOT THE NEXT COMING OF RAKIM. AND I GOT ALL OF T.I.'S ALBUMS, BUT THIS BROTHER AIN'T EVEN IN THE TOP 20 WITH HIS LYRICS. LUDACRIS GOT MORE ORIGINAL LYRICS THAN BOTH OF THEM. I have run the gamut of Black hairstyles in my 31 years. Allow me to share, and illustrate with pictures when possible. I already know the pictures are blurry. It's a by product of not having a scanner and trying to take bootleg pictures of old photos. Let's not have any complaining about the quality in the comments section. LOL!!!

I was 3 years old in this picture. My mother thought it would be a good idea to slick my hair back and put me in a sailor's outfit like I was auditioning to be the newest member of The Village People. I used to hate this picture for many years until I realized, I was an extremely cute child. Now, I have it displayed in my living room.

Next up was the "kind of afro." I say kind of because I had a fro, but it was more of a bunch of curls designed to look like an afro. If you think that's bad, at least I wasn't as bad as my father. He had to wear curlers at night to get his hair to look like an Afro.

The Michael Jackson look was next. I don't have any pictures that really illustrate how it looks, but this one is close enough. Now, I never had a jheri curl or activator. Instead I used to carry around a spray bottle with water and wet my shit up so it would have that glistening look.

After the greasy look played out, I was kind of in between styles. So I rocked a natural. In between a low cut and an afro, my middle school hair was unique. This is when I started to hear that stupid "good hair" phrase all the time. Nikki would call it "loosely curled." In this photo, I am rocking the Tony Dorsett jersey. He was my favorite football player at the time.

High school came and I switched up to the box or flat top. I was a level headed brother as Liquor and TV would say. It was a slow transition as evidenced by this picture. You can see that I went through various stages of boxdom. I don't have a picture of it, but I even had the step haircut. You know where half my hair was up high, and the other was cut low. I loved that shit.... on other people. My hair curled up and after a day or two, it wound up looking like a Bobby Brown Gumby cut. Anybody remember Three Times Dope? They had the half fro. I had that one too for a minute.

In college, my flat top game was serious. I had a standing appointment with my man Dwayne every week to keep my box tight. I got the diagonal part going in this pics. You couldn't tell me I wasn't dope. I got my initials in the back of my head once or twice, but the Nike and Benz symbols were too flashy for me. Plus, soon everybody was starting to grow dreads and get braids.

My hair wouldnt lock, or more accurately, I didnt have the patience to let it lock so I got it cut down low and rocked a Caeser for awhile. There are no pictures in existence of this, but I even got a baldy ONE TIME. Let's just say I was listening to too much Onyx and got carried away. Never again! My head is not shaped right for the baldy, and my scalp was about 6.3 shades lighter than the rest of me. Luckily, my hair grew back in quickly, but I was wearing a hat for most of that week. Luckily there is no photographic evidence of that stupid decision.

NO PICTURE AVAILABLE!!!

After college, I decided that I would give braids another chance. I let my hair grow out real long, (let me stop lying, I was just too broke to get a haircut) and had my homegirl Boo braid my shit up. She was always doing somebody's hair, so I figured if anyone could do it, she could. Boo told me that it wouldn't work, but I wanted to try anyway. My cornrows lasted all of 3 hours before they started coming undone.

Sidenote: Boo Trotter, please google yourself and find my page. Shaina told me she saw you, but she didn't have your number. If you or anyone you know are reading this, hit me up at visionz74@yahoo.com, visionz74@hotmail.com or visionz74@gmail.com.


Since then, I've basically just kept a regular haircut, alternating between a low Ceasar and a curly natural. The ladies seem to like it better when my hair is grown out like in the above picture, but I (and my corporate personality) prefer it low. Its just easier to get up in the morning without having to comb my hair. Plus when it gets too long, my hair gets part curly, part straight. I don't know if you can see it, but this is what it looked like before my haircut. And yes I was drinking!!!

And this is after.

I know not much of a difference, but its just evened out and cut down lower. I think he did a pretty good job, but there was no reason for me to be sitting in the chair for 50 minutes while he tried to get every little stray hair. I need to find a steady barber who can cut my hair right and in a timely manner. There's my chronicle of hairstyles. Go ahead and get your laugh on in the comments section.


It was written...

31 Comments:

Blogger chele said...

I like the baby pic, the college cuts and of course the present one. You're a cutie...and a lot braver than me -- I could never put my old pics up.

Fri Jul 07, 08:09:00 AM  
Blogger thee modern isis said...

pshhh@ the Olan Mills poses but no "just got out of County" poses.

I'm mad I'm sitting up here thinking about Video Soul and trying to play Name that Video with your hairstyles.

lol nice post Cas.

Fri Jul 07, 08:25:00 AM  
Blogger i like liquor and tv said...

aw man, I just started reading and I already have a lot of comments -

My "Chemistry" has been collecting dust. I bought it right after I realized that all of 9th's beats sound alike. But I do need to give it another listen.

Wasn't that Picture Pages song for the show Picture Pages that Bill Cosby was on?

Why you dissing the South? You go up North and they'll be reppin G-UNIT...you go out west and everyone's in love with Game and Snoop. The majority of people's musical tastes suck..lol

ok, let me read the rest...

Fri Jul 07, 09:03:00 AM  
Blogger i like liquor and tv said...

ok now with the hair.

My hair dresser drinks beer while she does my hair..no lie. That's why I never have a good hairdo. At least she waits til after she rinses the perm out before she starts getting her drank on.

lol@you being a level head brotha.

nice archive of hairdos you got there...from the bob to the box...to the regular...props..lol

Fri Jul 07, 09:09:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice photos:)

I thought only women had problems finding and keeping a good stylist. You can't find someone by way of recommendation?

BTW, LOL at that 'Lil Wayne is the greatest rapper alive' conversation. Sheer hilarious-ness!

Fri Jul 07, 09:20:00 AM  
Blogger 4EverJennayNay said...

about picture pages, i think liquor & tv is right. Bill Cosby was on that. i really wanted one of those pens.

and i'm real mad about that bottle of water you carried around.

...i used to want a jerhi curl REAL bad. i liked the way they smelled.

Fri Jul 07, 09:36:00 AM  
Blogger Nika Laqui said...

I like the low caesar look on you...
*lol* at your pics....
Did you take them with yo camera phone?

Hey, I had a conversation with myself...check me out...*lol*

Fri Jul 07, 11:27:00 AM  
Blogger Nika Laqui said...

Yea, how you dissin the south?

See I like a variety...so I'm all good...but I guess some people are stuck in one type of music genre

Fri Jul 07, 11:28:00 AM  
Blogger BK said...

LMAO.. Ummm ya right.. ya flattop game was tight!!! :) box cuts :) teeheheee

anyway I loved the stroll down memory lane.. bad pics included LOL :)

what it is to be a 70's baby!

Fri Jul 07, 12:15:00 PM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

At least you have hair last time I checked I had a window in the middle of my scalp...lol Been shaving my head bald ever since its cheaper too..15 dollars for a cut in nyc...lol

Fri Jul 07, 12:46:00 PM  
Blogger Rashan Jamal said...

@ chele - I've gotten to a point where my need for attention outweighs my need for privacy. LOL

@ thee modern isis - I got jail house pics, but it didn't go with the post. I might have to try that Video Soul game.

@ just me - thanks, and India's album is on fire. My favorite right now is "Private Party"

@ Liquor and TV - I found it, but not on YouTube. Bill Cosby was the host and it was on this show called "Pinwheel" yeah, let me not say anything about G Unit before I offend the rest of the country.. but they suck too. LOL

@ Cocoa - I've had the Lil Wayne conversation way too many times. I think because he uses a lot of words people think he is saying something, but he really isnt.

@ JennayNay - LOL. true story. there is a lady at my job who smells just like activator. I don't know what fragrance she got on, but I was looking around to see if somebody stepped in with a jheri curl.

@ Nsane - I wasn't dissing the South so much as I was dissing the barbers who were arguing about it. Andre 3000 is way nicer than Wayne.
Check the edit!

@ Daddy's Girl - 74 is the year. I'm starting a campaign to bring the flattop back...

@ Mr. Slish - $15 for a cut here too. I wish I could cut my own ish, but I would mess it up way too bad

@ Ill Nana - I think that's the first time I have ever been called sexy in my life. LOL. Can I get me some of... oh nevermind. I forgot you the clit campaign going on. *sigh*

@ blue butterfli - why does that sound like you fuckin' with me? You being sarcastic? LOL

Fri Jul 07, 02:10:00 PM  
Blogger Angel said...

hell no for that leather jacket lean in pic!!!!! you are too cute (then and now)!!!!

i like lil wayne and i like t.i. both of their lyrics are starting to grow on me more and more. especially weezy f. baby's (since you HAVE to say the "baby"). i think that is mostly due to me hearing him on mixtapes and not just his albums though.

Fri Jul 07, 02:22:00 PM  
Blogger chele said...

I couldn't post my old pics because they are so daggone ugly! I wasn't thinking about privacy.

Fri Jul 07, 02:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never had the symbols in my hair but I had the part!!! Now I just rock with the locks.

Fri Jul 07, 02:46:00 PM  
Blogger Prophetess said...

You need to quit, Tcas. You know damn well you're a Hottie! But that earlier "square" cut was not the bomb. You're still a Hottie.

Fri Jul 07, 02:55:00 PM  
Blogger nikki said...

you got that colonel sanders haircut going in the baby photo. i love it!

Fri Jul 07, 03:29:00 PM  
Blogger NegroPino™ said...

R u serious T.....u went 31 sexyless years....Couldn't be me..i like to give men compliments...so what else haven't u been called/done?

Fri Jul 07, 03:38:00 PM  
Blogger Rashan Jamal said...

@ fallen angel - they made me take that picture. I wanted to take it in the Huey Newton pose with the shotguns, but they werent going for it

@ Rob Mack - I'm envisioning that scene in Boyz in the Hood when Furious was cutting Trey's hair and he was lying about not being a virgin. LOL

@ chele - oh, misinterpretation. I got some of those too, like the ones with the short shorts and high tube socks. those will not see the light of day. LOL

@ eps - I couldnt get the locks going. It was just stringy and my girl at the time made me cut my hair

@ insanity - if you say so, I'll accept that. The square joint was hot. really it was.

@ nikki - 11 herbs and spices of cuteness in that picture

@ ill nana- I've never been with a negropino. Can we make that happen? LOL

Fri Jul 07, 03:46:00 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Stopping by, by way of Nikki to say that baby pic in the sailor suit, is definitely one of the best I've ever seen. The woes of the hair.

Sat Jul 08, 02:55:00 PM  
Blogger Mo said...

*laughing hysterically at the photos*

You make great posts, T. I'm a fan of the low ceasar, myself.

SRae

Sun Jul 09, 12:33:00 PM  
Blogger Rashan Jamal said...

@ RPM - thanks for stopping by. my mom loved to show that picture to any and everyone

@ scarlett - thanks. I'll keep the low caesar until I get old and grow bald. No more following trends for me.

Mon Jul 10, 12:58:00 AM  
Blogger Mahogany Misfit said...

Awww look at your little legs in the baby shorts! How cuuuuuute~!!!!!! You were just precious!!!!

Oh and the whole "I am not my hair" thing works best with men. Ya'll can walk around bald and it's no big deal!

I'm a woman and I adore India but I have to disagree with her on this one. My hair can't be looking jacked up under any circumstances. When you look your best, you feel your best! :-)

Mon Jul 10, 02:35:00 AM  
Blogger NegroPino™ said...

HMMMMM i dont want u to fall in love cuz BOston is way too cold for u

Mon Jul 10, 02:51:00 PM  
Blogger Superstar Nic said...

I love this post!!!! U are always giving me good ideas to. I should do a post like this...the baby pic is so cute ;-)

Mon Jul 10, 08:23:00 PM  
Blogger Tenacious said...

awww how cute I like the little press and curl and laid to the side thing u rocked as a cute little baby

Mon Jul 10, 11:12:00 PM  
Blogger Rashan Jamal said...

@ the mistress - it was just a catchy title, my love for hair has been well documented in my blog. LOL

@ ill nana - yeah, yeah, yeah

@ n search - I would love to see that. go ahead and post that

@ tenacious - press and curl? that's an interesting (and accurate) way to describe it.

Tue Jul 11, 10:22:00 AM  
Blogger Ms.Honey said...

Aww look at the cute lil baby.....funny how our hairstyles change over the years I need to look at mine..then again women are a lil easier to follow LOL...we go from pony tails to short hair to either weave or natural LOL...I think the most that's changed about me would be my hair color and the fact that now I have locs.

Tue Jul 11, 10:56:00 AM  
Blogger Little Brown Girl said...

New to your blog...thanks to Mr.Mack!

I enjoyed this post...men never talk about hair drama but we all know that you guys have it. I feel you on the part curly, part straight mess. I got the same issues. I've been natural for almost 3 years and just started growing locs...what a friggin challenge. Half my head is cooperating while the other half is standing around taking notice but not following suit. We'll see what happens...

Great post!

Tue Jul 11, 11:52:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

www0605


ugg outlet
ugg boots
longchamp handbags
kate spade outlet
oakley sunglasses
hornets jerseys
ugg boots
air jordan 4
coach outlet online
yeezy boost

Tue Jun 05, 04:05:00 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

nike epic react
michael kors outlet
air max 2019
kobe byrant shoes
golden gooses
adidas stan smith shoes
kyrie 5 shoes
yeezy boost
off white shoes
valentino

Fri Jul 19, 07:11:00 AM  
Anonymous double bed blanket cover said...

I'm mad I'm sitting up here thinking about Video Soul and trying to play Name that Video with your hairstyles.
black shalwar kameez ladies ,
black salwar kameez ladies ,

Thu Dec 02, 02:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home