Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Philosophy for Dummies

I had an interesting conversation at work the other day. Well not so much interesting as funny. I was on my way home and stopped to say goodbye to a couple of my former employees that I helped get promoted. They were talking about life philosophies. I'll call them Mr. President (cuz he be politicking with everybody in the building and seems like he's not all there ala dubya) and Mini - Me (cuz she is just like me in terms of her humor and work ethic.)

Mr President was asking us if we have any proverbs or sayings that we live our everyday life by. For instance, some people live by the golden rule (Do unto others as you want them to do unto you.) I thought about it for a minute and couldn't really come up with anything. Mini - Me also didn't have one. We don't really do that whole inspirational quotes/life affirmation thing. So I asked Mr. President what his philosophy was. And here's what he told me.

"If you cut one finger, the rest of your fingers get bloody"

I was like what the hell does that mean? He told me it was about teamwork. Everybody is responsible for everyone else on the team. Mini Me and I laughed at that perversion of the proverb. I asked him do you mean "A chain is only as strong as its weakest link?" He responded that was the same thing. Mr. President then hit me with this gem:

"A crooked stick makes crooked ashes"

Huh, bruh? By now, Mini Me is about to die from laughter. We asked him to break that philosophy down to us. Mr President said its about personal responsibility. If you are crooked, then anything you do will result in crookedness. I was about to lose it but somehow managed to keep a straight face. I said, so you mean "you reap what you sow?" He said it meant the same thing. Of course, I had to go into sarcastic mode and tell him that those were "Almost Proverbs" cuz they almost make sense. It was like Philosophy for Dummies.

I came home and thought about it. I really don't live my life according to a saying or proverb. But I realize that many people do. What are some of the proverbs or daily affirmations that you live by? And have you heard those "almost proverbs" before? Maybe I'm trippin'. By the way, I am still in training (and they had me teaching part of the class) so I may not get to everybody's blog today, but I'll be back on Thursday.

It was written...

23 Comments:

Blogger nikki said...

as long as that brotha understands the meaning behind his proverbs it matters not whether someone else 'gets it' or not. i think it only becomes a dumb philosophy if by following it, one becomes miserable and moves further away from his or her life goals.

as for my own proverbs, i've got several:

if you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got
if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem
do not expect more from others than what you are willing to give yourself
you will love others as you love yourself, so you will love someone else unconditionally only if you offer yourself that same kind of love
love is like the ocean. if you swim only on the surface you will miss the beauty of life found within its depths, so dive deeply and be courageous enough to explore. (that one i created for myself years ago).

Wed Jul 26, 08:41:00 AM  
Blogger The Stiltwalker said...

*wiping tears of sentiment* @ nikki.

One of my proverbs: "there's always a better penis. seek and you will find."

Wed Jul 26, 08:44:00 AM  
Blogger i like liquor and tv said...

lol@t cas working with Overton Wakefield Jones

Wed Jul 26, 10:04:00 AM  
Blogger Blah Blah Blah said...

i'm with stilt.
ain't nothing better than dick...than new dick.
so...you know...i am always open to oppurtunity when it comes a knockin'..........LMAO

Bugs Bunny
Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive.

Quotes by Homer Simpson
And there's nothing wrong with hitting someone when his back is turned.

Quotes by Homer Simpson
If something is hard, then it is probably not worth doing.

Wed Jul 26, 10:06:00 AM  
Blogger Miz JJ said...

lmao@ stiltwalker.

Mama J always taught me that "What's good for the goose is good for the gander". Meaning if a man can do so can I.

Wed Jul 26, 10:30:00 AM  
Blogger Paula D. said...

Hilarious! OMG! I am dying laughing at blah's 1st proverb.

Mine:
Whatever wrong you do in the dark will surely come to the light.

Wed Jul 26, 10:43:00 AM  
Blogger Angel said...

"if we stand tall, it's because we stand on the backs of those who came before us."--Yoruba proverb

"i always try my best to do the right thing. but i think the problem lies in my definition of 'right'."--myself

"if 'if' was a fifth, we'd all be drunk!"--my crazy-ass line sister!!! LMBAO!!!!

Wed Jul 26, 11:30:00 AM  
Blogger chele said...

"Never allow someone to be your priority, when you are merely their option"

"Never provide a problem without also providing a solution"

Wed Jul 26, 11:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"You teach people how to treat you"

"No one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

Both by Maya Angelou

I don't live by these, per se, but they have always stuck in my mind, which means I should hold onto them.

Wed Jul 26, 12:00:00 PM  
Blogger Mocha said...

Crooked ashes? hmph. oookaaay.

Typcial Mocha sayings:

"What goes around, comes around."

"Love is a battlefield"

"don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines."

Wed Jul 26, 12:20:00 PM  
Blogger P said...

The Main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing - Steven Covey.

When you feel "dog tired" at night, it may be because you growled all day.

And, my favorite:

If "If's" were fifths, we'd all be drunk.

Wed Jul 26, 01:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My big one is that what goes around comes around. I always think before I do something questionable cause if I put it out there the universe is subject to give it back to me.

Wed Jul 26, 02:12:00 PM  
Blogger NegroPino™ said...

DO unto others as i would them to do unto me
Respect is earned not given
Just cuz my ass hangs out ,doesnt mean u can touch it...
whats done in the dark shall come to light
What doesnt kill u ,will def make u stronger
Only the strong survive
life is what you make it

Wed Jul 26, 02:26:00 PM  
Blogger Superstar Nic said...

"A crooked stick makes crooked ashes" - What in the hell?!?!?!

I hope you are having a great week!

Wed Jul 26, 10:02:00 PM  
Blogger Elle Jefe said...

WTF! Tell him he almost made sense for almost making up some shit that almost sounding like some stuff that someone who was almost important said almost a long time ago. He needs a hobby. "A crooked stick makes crooked ashes?" WTF is a crooked ash? lol

Wed Jul 26, 11:52:00 PM  
Blogger Ms.Honey said...

How do you know that the ashes are crooked? LOL...yea he sounds like he needs to be wearing a bow-tie. I'd have to say that Karma is a b*&^%.

People only do to you as much as you allow them to....

Thu Jul 27, 11:47:00 AM  
Blogger Prophetess said...

"You reap what you sow", "Payback is a bitch/mofo.", "What goes around, comes around."

I don't know if these qualify as proverbs, but if you don't ever believe anything else in life, believe these three things.

If we as humans practiced these three things each day in our daily interactions with each other, I kinda like to believe that the World wouldn't be the hostile, destructive way it is today.

Thu Jul 27, 01:28:00 PM  
Blogger Mr.Slish said...

"Why get mad over things you cannot control."

"If life was easy we'd be bored to death"


Passed down to me by Slish Sr.

Thu Jul 27, 04:55:00 PM  
Blogger Nika Laqui said...

You live by the sword you die by the sword...

Don't sweat the small stuff and its all small stuff...

It takes a village to raise a child...

Suffering is prior to attaining success or perfection. ...(Tanzania)

A bird in the hand, beats two in the bush...

Don't put all your eggs in one basket...

Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house...

If God breaks your leg he will teach you how to limp...(Ghana)

After hardship comes relief...(Arabic)

Thu Jul 27, 05:38:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have one that works for me, Take the time to stroke two birds with one stone.

Thu Jul 27, 06:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers." - Oscar Wilde

This is definitely true

Thu Jul 27, 11:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

Sat Aug 12, 11:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! »

Mon Mar 05, 04:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home