Wednesday, February 01, 2006

CD MIX CHALLENGE

Nikki has presented me with a CD Mix Challenge. When you get done reading my ish, check out her answers to these questions. You can also post your answers to this challenge in the comments section:

1. A favorite political track:
"Self Destruction" This was my ish back in the day. The beat was banging and I liked the fact that so many different rappers took part in this.

2. One of those tracks that make you dance on the dancefloor no matter what:
If I could dance, it would be "Children's Story" by Slick Rick. This joint makes me wanna do the Kid N Play kickstep

3. The song you'd use to tell someone you love them:
Ribbon in the Sky - Stevie Wonder. This is one of my favorite songs...EVER.

4. A song that has made you sit down and analyze its lyrics:
I have 2 that songs that I have analyzed recently: 1. "The Truth" by india.arie. I had heard this song many times, but never really paid attention to the words: "I remember the very first day that I saw him/I found myself immediately intrigued by him/Its almost like I knew this man from another life/Like back then maybe I was his husband and maybe he was my wife"
2. "Sanctified Lady" by Marvin Gaye. "some girls suck, some girls wont, some girls f*ck some girls don't" he also had a line that went "boyfriend there, girlfriend there/ herpes bug everywhere." I was tripping when I heard that.

5. A song that you like, that a two year old would like as well:
I guess kids would find "Gold Digger" a catchy tune.

6. A song that gives you an energy boost:
"Glaciers of Ice" - Raekwon. This is my official get crunk hype song. I listen to this whenever I have to do something that I don't want to do.

7. A song that you and your grandparents (would probably) like:
My grandma only listens to gospel now, and I um don't. I guess we can connect on some old Sinatra or something, so I'll say "It Was a Very Good Year."

8. A song that you really liked when you were 14 - 16 and still really like now
Way too many to mention, but I'll go R&B and say Troop's version of "All I Do is Think of You"

9. A sad song that would be in the soundtrack of the movie about you life
"Sometimes it Snows in April" by Prince. I'm a huge Prince fan and that was about the saddest song I can think of.

10 A peppy song that would start the opening credits of the movie about your life
Me Myself And I - De La Soul. I like to be original and that song would set the tone for the entire flick.

11 A good song from a genre of music that no one would guess that you liked:
Am I really going to put this out here? I guess I have to. Mr "I hate pop" actually likes "I Want It That Way" by the Backstreet Boys.

12 A song that you think should have been playing when you were born
"Thus spake Zarathustra" That's that sh*t from 2001: A Space Odyssey. Just a real dramatic way to introduce Casanova to the world

13 A favorite artist duo collaboration
I should respect the classics and say Donny and Roberta, but i'm gonna say K- Ci and Mary J. "If Loving You is All that I have to Do"

14 A favorite song that you completely disagree with (politically, morally, commonsensically, religiously etc)
Anything by Young Jeezy (the Snowman). I love this album, but brother takes glorifying the whole crack game to a new level.

15 The song that you like despite the fact that your IQ level drops several points every time you listen to it
Wait (The Whisper Song) by Ying Yang Twins. I know, I know. But living in Atlanta, you couldnt get away from this song and it eventually broke me down.

16 Your smooth song, for relaxing
A Long Walk by Jill Scott. Hell, anything by Jilly from Philly is my smooth song.

17 A song you would send to someone you hate or are mad at
"Kill You" by Eminem. It has a clear message but also is funny as hell.

18 A favorite track from an outfit considered a "super-group"
"My Body" by LSG. or "Phone Tap" by the Firm.

19 A song that makes you reminisce about good times with a family member
Knee Deep by Parliament. This joint reminds me of hanging out with my father when I was about 5. Good times sitting on his lap and learning to mix records.

20 Your favorite song at this moment in time
"We Major" Kanye West and Nas

15 Comments:

Blogger nikki said...

nice list. i won't say more because i don't want the pimp to call me out.

Wed Feb 01, 02:31:00 PM  
Blogger Rashan Jamal said...

say what you gotta say, nik, don't censor yourself.

Wed Feb 01, 03:04:00 PM  
Blogger nikki said...

i was joking ;)

there ain't much to say. i dig all of the folk you picked. whenever i think about 'ribbon in the sky', i remember new york and summertime and first kisses and handball. i really love these lists because it's like walking down memory lane with many of the songs. that is, if the folk are around my age.

now i gotta go back and download a bunch of the cuts i see on your list.

Wed Feb 01, 03:29:00 PM  
Blogger Rashan Jamal said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Wed Feb 01, 03:40:00 PM  
Blogger Rashan Jamal said...

I know you were kidding, I get your sense of humor. Yo, I'm still LMAO at that star wars conversation yesterday. (how do you think the pimp feels now?)

Wed Feb 01, 03:42:00 PM  
Blogger nikki said...

HAHAHAHA!

see, i'm not even going there. i've only got five minutes left at work and i'm gonna be good. LOL

Wed Feb 01, 03:48:00 PM  
Blogger Rashan Jamal said...

Brokeback Jedi....LMAO

Wed Feb 01, 04:29:00 PM  
Blogger Rashan Jamal said...

i'm just saying, that's not something you can put out of your mind quickly. yoda saying to his stick: "I wish I could quit you." But I think that's enough inside jokes for one day.

Wed Feb 01, 05:40:00 PM  
Blogger nikki said...

i remember that video for 'long walk'. she had me wishing i could take a long walk like that with a brotha like that. LOL

Thu Feb 02, 10:36:00 AM  
Blogger Rashan Jamal said...

Accomplice: I'm bout to peer pressure you. I wanna see your list

Nikki: that was a cool ass video, I almost missed out on the whole Jill Scott thing b/c I didn't like "getting in the way" at first. Thank G.O.D. my ex girlfriend copped the album anyway.

Thu Feb 02, 11:23:00 AM  
Blogger ThatGirlTam said...

Great list...and I'd probably use some of the same songs myself...I was a HUGE Troop fan back in the day...til they lost their curls and tried to get gangsta! HAHAHA

Thu Feb 02, 01:11:00 PM  
Blogger nikki said...

troop tried to get gangsta??? what's the world coming to!?!

Thu Feb 02, 01:54:00 PM  
Blogger Rashan Jamal said...

man... I don't remember that. Troop without the curls is like color me bad without the gay.

Thu Feb 02, 03:44:00 PM  
Blogger Waddie G. said...

man, I remember some of these songs...I need to download them...especially Self-Destruction...

Thu Feb 02, 04:50:00 PM  
Blogger nikki said...

LMAO@t

Thu Feb 02, 05:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home