Thursday, March 09, 2006

Growing Old

Inspiration - "Growing Old" - Outkast "Fat titties turn to teardrops as fat ass turns to flab/Sores that was open wounds eventually turn to scab/Trees bright and green turn yellow brown/Autumn caught em, see all them leaves must fall down/growin old"

What I'm Listening To - "Baduizm" - Erykah Badu

Question(s) - "Why is Blogger buggin out? I have been trying to save this post for 30 minutes"

I think I'm getting old. Don't get me wrong, for the most part I'm still young at heart. I still like to do the things I did when I was in my 20's. I still look young. I still sometimes get carded when I'm buying a drink. But there are a couple of things that have happened since my 30th birthday that lead me to think I might be getting old.

When I was 29, turning 30 was no big deal to me. I had that "age ain't nothing but a number" philosphy. So imagine my surprise the day after my birthday, when I looked in the mirror and saw one gray hair in my beard. It was like the universe was saying, "I'm gonna give you a sign that you are old." I learned to love the solitary gray hair in my beard. It kinda makes me look distinguished. At least that's what I tell myself.

In my teens and twenties, I never got cold. I mean I don't think I owned a coat for the last 10 years. I was the cat that kept his heat off all winter. If it was 30 degrees outside, then I would rock a hoodie, but not a coat. I would pray for snow, and living in ATL, that just didn't happen. Since I turned 30 though its like the script has flipped. All of a sudden I can't stand the cold weather. I find myself using 2 blankets and turning on the heat in my crib. And don't get me started on Georgia Natural Gas and their high ass gas bills. Them mf's sent me a $96.17 gas bill last month. I can't wait for winter to be over; my 31 year old ass is sick of the cold weather.

The worst part of growing old is the little annoying aches and pains that I never used to get. In the last year and a half since I turned 30, I have had little shit happen to me that I can't explain. Last year, after a 4 hour car drive, my neck got so stiff that I couldn't turn my head to the left. So there I was, 30 years old, buying Ben Gay. I also had to go to the doctor for migraines. I had them when I was a kid, but I controlled them in my 20's. Once I turned 30, I was having headaches everyday. I had an MRI and they didn't find anything, luckily. It turns that the cause was mainly caffiene. So I had to give up my morning cup of coffee and my afternoon Cherry Coke. I am not a morning person at all. That caffeine boost was what got me through the day, but now since I am getting old I had to give that up.

The latest sign of getting old happened 2 days ago. I was at my desk at work and decided to walk around. I was getting sleepy and needed to get up to clear my head. I stood up and noticed a sharp pain in my left elbow. I thought nothing of it, but when I got home my arm was so stiff that I couldn't even hold my phone to my ear. (I'm a natural southpaw so I hold the phone in my left hand.) It felt and looked like my elbow was dislocated and needed to be popped back into place. I couldnt understand what happened. It wasn't because of physical exertion, I was just sitting at my desk when my arm locked. That night I couldnt even sleep, because whenever I moved the pain would wake me up. I have to face facts: I'm getting old and there ain't a damn thing I can do about it.

Let me say it again. I still feel young at heart. I listen to young people's music and like to play young people's games. In fact for the most part, I can't believe that I am in my thirties. I still stay up all night like I used to, but it seems like my body is trying to tell me that I am old. Aiight, I'm out.

It was written.

20 Comments:

Blogger NegroPino™ said...

Grandpa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thu Mar 09, 11:52:00 AM  
Blogger NegroPino™ said...

ANd I thought u was gonna do a biggie tribute today :(

Thu Mar 09, 11:52:00 AM  
Blogger nikki said...

i won't comment on the fact that you posted this six times. wait...i just did!

anyway, i believe the body speaks to us. either we listen or we don't. your body ain't telling you you're getting old. it's telling you you're not taking good care of it. it's that girlfriend who whines about how you never take her out anymore or how you always get your rocks off and then roll over and leave her unsatisfied.

if you don't want your body to breakup on you, you'd best to get to making up with it. LOL

Thu Mar 09, 11:53:00 AM  
Blogger Mocha said...

I feel you, today I woke up so sore, just cuz I worked out for an extra half hour last night!I used to be able to do a 2 hour work out and still have energy to hit a party later.
I agree with nikki, you gotta take of your body, but sometimes your body is like that girl that nothing you can do pleases her! lol

Thu Mar 09, 01:39:00 PM  
Blogger Rashan Jamal said...

@ missy - The Biggie post is coming tonight. Blogger was acting crazy this morning.

@ nikki - I tried to save it once, but Blogger was tripping. Thanks for your words of advice.

@ Mocha - I used to stay up all night going to the club and then go to work without sleep. I cant do that no more.

Thu Mar 09, 02:25:00 PM  
Blogger unsaid said...

awwww this made me a little sad and i don't think it should. I'll be 28 in about 2 weeks and I have the fears of 30. I'ma try to stay young at heart like you though, it sounds like the way to go.

Thu Mar 09, 02:27:00 PM  
Blogger Waddie G. said...

I'm still having problems posting with blogger...wassup with them?

I'm about to turn 30 in August, and I am looking forward to it. No fears about it all over here.

Thu Mar 09, 03:48:00 PM  
Blogger P said...

Yep. Yep. Yep.

So many stories, so little time. . .

Hard to believe I'm in my thirties. I'm not saying it like it's a bad thing. But it just seemed like when I was in my teens, everyone in their thirties seems so much more rico suave than I am. Maybe that's how I look to them, but I dunno.

I start hearing stuff like what happened with Kirby Puckett, Dana Reeve, Sheryl Crow, etc, and I'm counting on my fingers, like 'er, they are only ____ years older than me!

I know that I was going up some stairs the other day and I was like "Wait a minute" Am I hurting here? I kind of wiped it out of my mind even though I try to exercise (not as much as I should, do).

What gets me is my attitudes about certain things. Like, I am perfectly happy at home reading a book relaxing or something, or I'll hear myself saying (when it comes to old skool stuff "Y'all don't know nothing about this"

I work in HR, and when I do new employee orienatation, some of these folks birthdays are like 1985. You don't know how many times I've almost spit out to them that they are not yet legally authorized to work in the United States yet, and then caught myself.

I love the same music and people, but I seem to get irritated quicker with foolishness.

For example, out here in LA, we have Crenshaw Blvd, known as 'the shaw'. Back in the day that was a play to sign and co sign and everything else in between. Now, I've got bigger fish to fry and I will either avoid Crenshaw Blvd, or honk at those that are on it to keep it moving!

But, I do like my disposition on things better. I love it.

I also love what we women call the durty thirties. . .What next, the horny forties. . .YAH!

Thu Mar 09, 03:48:00 PM  
Blogger NegroPino™ said...

*WHEW* i thought I was the only one that was having problems

Thu Mar 09, 03:49:00 PM  
Blogger ThatGirlTam said...

Maaaaaan, I KNOW you ain't complaining about being old at 30! I'm bout to turn 34 next month and I'm wearin that shit like a badge of honor...because I'm married, have two gorgeous children BY THE SAME MAN (that I happened to be MARRIED to), I have a thriving career, I've launched a business, got my OWN car, my OWN pad and some money (although it ain't very much) in the bank...I am not complaining ONE BIT!! Hey, I was one of the FEW people at my 10 year reunion that didn't have kids and even THEN I felt proud!

Thu Mar 09, 04:59:00 PM  
Blogger ThatGirlTam said...

Oh yeah, I'm lookin forward to horny forties! HAHAHAHA

Thu Mar 09, 05:00:00 PM  
Blogger nikki said...

me too! actually, i heard women get pretty damn horny in our thirties. i can sure attest to that!

Thu Mar 09, 05:51:00 PM  
Blogger Rashan Jamal said...

@ unsaid - Happy Birthday, if I forget to say it in 2 weeks. Nothing to fear about turning 30. Its just another day. So, you one of those damn Aries, huh. I need to post about Aries women.

@ Professor - I was looking forward to it too. I made a big deal out of turning 30, but then I realized it ain't that much different.

@P - I'm tripping too on the 80's babies. Whenever I'm interviewing someone born in 85 or 86, I'm like "damn I'm old". Them cats don't even remember when Michael Jackson was still Black. I can't even fathom that.

@ Tam, I ain't complaining. I'm cool with the age. It's just other shit that is getting on my nerves.

@ nikki, from reading your blog, I'd say that you already got the horny thirties, I cant imagine what your 40's will be like.

@ everyone - it aint just you, blogger is messing up big time. How am I supposed to make it through work, if I can't read peoples blogs? They lucky this shit is free. LOL

Thu Mar 09, 06:04:00 PM  
Blogger unsaid said...

lol why we always complaining about free stuff lol

Thu Mar 09, 06:14:00 PM  
Blogger Lena said...

Thanx for stopping by my spot...I feel you on the getting old stuff...goodness...I was feeling old finally turning 25 and the way you talk, I'm not looking forward to 30. It's good that you're still young at heart though! *smile*

Thu Mar 09, 07:02:00 PM  
Blogger chele said...

Oh baby 30 ain't old! I'm not sure how it is for men but when I turned 30 I had a breakdown. For real. After a while I was okay and then I began to look forward to my forties. And it has been great! (See Tam's comment above)

:)

Older means better. Older means wiser. Older means richer. Older means smarter. Enjoy it!

Thu Mar 09, 08:04:00 PM  
Blogger nikki said...

tell it chele!

i don't think anybody here is afraid of getting older. i think it's a blessing. however, my body was JACKED UP after i hit 30.

Thu Mar 09, 10:23:00 PM  
Blogger Rashan Jamal said...

@ unsaid - I guess I have a false sense of entitlement. I want my free stuff to work right.

@ lena - 25??? you still have a long way to go. Don't be discouraged, read chele's comments under yours. 25 is nothing.

@ chele - No breakdown. I actually like being 30, this was a little bit of an exaggeration.

@ nikki - what happened to you at 30?

Fri Mar 10, 12:29:00 AM  
Blogger nikki said...

right after i turned thirty i started having problems with my joints. they were testing me for all kinds of diseases. it was hell!

Fri Mar 10, 07:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gettin' grown......(bb)-ceelo

Mon Mar 13, 03:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home