Sunday, March 12, 2006

Saturday Night at Atlantic Station

I just got back from Atlantic Station in downtown Atlanta. It was my first time there. Here are a few observations:

1. There were a lot more Black people than I was expecting. I don't know where I got the idea that it would be an other man type of scene, but I was pleasantly surprised to see so many brothas and sistas hanging out.
2. There was not a huge police presence there. Usually whenever there are lot of Black people there are a lot of police watching. It wasn't like that tonight. It was just a chill scene.
3. Atlanta has some beautiful women. There really are more eligible women than men in Atlanta. I saw many groups of women out together enjoying themselves. Basically, the only men there were with women.
4. Jessica should never wear heels when we go out. She already is about 1/4 inch taller than me. The heels just made me look even shorter.
5. Atlantic Station is the cleanest place I've been in the city. There were no panhandlers and no trash in the streets. The whole place is catered to pedestrians, so there were no cars cruising back and forth.
6. There were plenty of spaces in the parking garage. Parking was also very reasonably priced. Most of the time downtown parking will run you 10 or 15 dollars. Or if you don't mind a crackhead watching your car, you might be able to slide for $5. I was there for 3 hours and only had to pay $1.
7. It smells really good there. I don't know what restaurant it was, but there was a lingering aroma throughout the streets. I wanna go back to eat at some of those establishments.
8. The movie theater was top notch. With the exception of the slow concession stands, everything was cool. The reclining seats were very comfortable. It was almost like those home theaters you see on MTV Cribs, but on a larger scale.
9. I will always get lost when I go downtown. For some reason I can get there, but I can never find 75 North to get back home. Tonight was no exception.
10. I think I found my new hang out spot. I'll probably go back next weekend to chill. I want to check out some of the bars next time.

It was written...

12 Comments:

Blogger unsaid said...

Damn it...you make me miss Atlanta. I'm mad that I don't even know what this place you are talking about is!!! Damn you!!!

Glad you had fun lol

Can you give me a little more detail on what this place is...i prefer a vivid dream if it must all just be a dream lol. thank you.

Sun Mar 12, 11:01:00 AM  
Blogger Rashan Jamal said...

Check the link out. Atlantic Station is like this sub community with housing, offices, shopping and entertainment. Its off the 14th street exit, kinda close to GA Tech. They got a bunch of restaurants, bars,shopping and lofts. I think it opened last year.

Sun Mar 12, 01:17:00 PM  
Blogger unsaid said...

wow....look at Atlanta...trying to get big and stuff..cities within cities....deeeeeeeeep sigh...thanks for the link!

Mon Mar 13, 02:48:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well all i have to say about the movie theater is that when i went out there it was too expensive 9.00 a ticket when i could go to southlake 24 for 7.50 that wasn't the bad part though i did not mind paying the $9 however don't be selling generic candy instead of twizzlers they had red whips, instead of dots they had spots, and then they did not have rasinettes...what's up with that? I mean did they go to Aldi and stock the counter? Even the dollar movie has brand name candy.....(bb)

Mon Mar 13, 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger Rashan Jamal said...

bb: I aint going all the way to Southlake to save a $1.50. Not all of us live out in the boonies. LOL They had the same stuff that any Regal cinemas has. What did you think of the atmosphere of Atlantic Station though?

Mon Mar 13, 11:31:00 AM  
Blogger nikki said...

atlantic station is the bomb diggity! it's like centennial park, but with shopping. the only thing i dislike so far are the ridiculously large crowds. it's so popular now that there's a wait for everything!

i didn't have problems with the vending at the movie theatre, although the consession lines were indeed slow.

the best time to go is at night when you can see the lights from the city sparkling a short distance away. the atmosphere is amazing, especially when they have live music.

Mon Mar 13, 12:11:00 PM  
Blogger P said...

TC:

I am planning on visiting Hotlanta by the end of the year. . .

I am so excited. This is going to be one of my stops. . .

Mon Mar 13, 02:18:00 PM  
Blogger Ms.Honey said...

I'll have to keep that in mind when I go down there for Memorial Day.

Mon Mar 13, 02:28:00 PM  
Blogger Mocha said...

You're making the idea of moving down to the ATL seem even more tempting. I can't wait!

Mon Mar 13, 02:41:00 PM  
Blogger nikki said...

libra! you know you gotta check a sista out when you get here!

Mon Mar 13, 02:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it reminds me of a snowglobe if you took atlantic station shrunk it down to a mini and put in some water with some glitter and that is the feeling. it was cool when i went out there last month and in december i went to fox sports grill and had a great time, i went copeland's bistro in baton rouge and the food was good so i am sure it is good here especially the choc covered strawberries....(bb)

Mon Mar 13, 03:12:00 PM  
Blogger Rashan Jamal said...

@ nikki, I only went at night, so I don't know about the crowds all the line at the Fox Sports Grill was kinda lengthy.

@ P, Honey-Libra, and Mocha - I'm sure you will have fun in the A. I don't go out that much so I don't really know all the hot spots, but there is always something to do.

@ b.b.- That was a good way to describe Atlantic Station. It's kind of surreal to see this part of the city that really isn't part of the city.

Tue Mar 14, 03:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home