Thursday, March 23, 2006

Criminal Minded

Inspiration - "Criminal Minded" Boogie Down Productions "Criminal minded, you've been blinded/Lookin for a style like mine you can't find it/They are the audience, I am the lyricist/Sometimes the suckas on the side gotta hear this/Page, enraged, that I'm not in a cage/Free as a bird to fly up out on stage/Ain't here for no frontin just to say a little somethin/Ya suckaz don't like me cause you're all about nothin"

What I'm Listening To - "Breakin Atoms" Main Source

Question(s) I Asked Myself Today - "Am I telling too much with this post?"

A sit-eation (yeah, I spelled it like that on purpose) came up today that made me think about the old T. See the old T. was a miscreant, a deviant who would sooner pick your pocket than talk to you. Without going into too many details, I had an opportunity today for a quick come up and for a minute, I forgot that I was a grown ass man. I fought the temptation and didn't involve myself in the criminal enterprise, but I thought to myself... "If this had been a few years back..." Back in the day, I didn't concern myself with matters of right and wrong. If there was an opportunity to take your shit, your shit would be tooken (yes, I typed that on purpose too.) I ran scams like a professional confidence man back then. You wouldn't see it coming. The quiet guy in the corner was scheming on a way to get you for what you got. Let me give you a few examples.

Back in high school, I never really had any money. I mean, we lived comfortably but there wasn't anything left over for frivolous things like allowances. Being a prideful teen, I had to find a way to supplement my income so I could afford to go to football games or Jack and Jill parties. $5 was a lot of money to me then. So I hustled. Nothing bad like selling drugs or armed robbery, I used my brain and sneakiness to achieve my goals. There was this kid at my school named Brad (I can use his real name b/c there is no chance of him ever reading my blog.) Brad was a little white kid who wanted to be down with the brothas, and chose my crew because we were Black, but not like scary Black, if you know what I mean. Brad used to always brag about his material possessions. I felt it was my duty to liberate said items from him. Over the course of 2 years, I must have stolen 3 walkmans, a gameboy, and untold amounts of cash from Brad. The ill thing was he never knew how his stuff kept coming up missing. The way I did it was slick. I watched him when he opened his locker and stole the combination. Then later when he was in class, I would help myself to his belongings. My justification was that he was a white boy who had every advantage and I was a Black man stilled denied my 40 acres and mule. Whatever, I know that's bullshit, but selling Brad's stuff kept me laced in the freshest Cross Colours and British Knights.

In college, I had a similar hustle. But this time, because I went to a HBCU (SAVANNAH STATE UNIVERSITY, REPRESENT!!!) there weren't many overprivileged white kids to rob. I made it my mission to steal from those guys who were being supported by mommy and 'em. A good rule of thumb is "Don't brag about what you got in front of T., because it will come up missing." Case in point, I had an associate by the name of Bear. Bear had his own apartment and always had the fellas over to drink and smoke weed. This nigga just got extra verbose when he was faded, bragging about what he had. Mind you, he aint have a job, so really that's not his shit, its his parents shit. One day, me and my homeys decided that we were tired of hearing his rhetoric and decided to teach him a lesson. As usual, that night there were a ton of people at Bear's apartment getting intoxicated. My man Kareem starts feeding Bear shot after shot of liquor (we were drinking Bacardi 151) and when Bear said he was through, my other homeboy Tori and I goaded him into drinking some more. "Come on, man! Don't be a little bitch!" Bear succumbed to the peer pressure and drank until he passed out. Slowly the throngs of hanger-ons either left or fell asleep, and that's when we struck. We stole every last one of Bear's Playstation games, the majority of his cd's and $100 he had hidden in a empty Alize bottle. When we saw him the next time, he told us that he got robbed and we acted like we ain't know what happened. My justification was I needed it more than he did.

It wasn't until a couple years after college when I was finally scared straight. I can't tell you this story, but suffice it to say that my criminal ways didn't diminish after graduation. I found a new hustle at one of my jobs, straight white collar. My justification was "these mf's should be paying me more for all the work I do!" It was all lovely for awhile, I was enjoying the free money until I got caught. Well, maybe I should say "suspected" because nothing was ever proven and no charges were ever filed. But I got interrogated. Now, I had thought about that moment before, but I never thought that I would end up like Caine in Menace to Society. You remember that scene with the detective saying "you know you done fucked up right?" That's how I was, every ounce of coolness I had going into the room disappeared. The shit scared the hell out of me and I have been (mostly) legal ever since.

Yeah, I admit that I thought about it today. But that only lasted a split second. I'm not the same cat I used to be. I think about right and wrong now. I no longer try to justify my fucked up actions. Besides, I'm too pretty for jail. Anybody else do dirt back in the day? We won't judge you, I promise.


It was written...

14 Comments:

Blogger unsaid said...

no comment :)

Thu Mar 23, 10:44:00 PM  
Blogger nikki said...

about eleven or twelve years ago i got a phone in my father's name without telling him because i had an outstanding phone bill as a result of a really shitty roommate. that's about the extent of my nefarious dealings, although it had more to do with the fact that i never felt deprived enough to want to steal from others. i can't say i wouldn't have done the same thing had i been in your shoes, although i would hope i wouldn't but really, until a person has been in someone else's shoes, he or she cannot really say unequivically that he or she would never do what the other person did.

Fri Mar 24, 08:43:00 AM  
Blogger chele said...

Damn -- Cross Colours and 151 ... you have really taken me back. I was always too much of a scaredy-cat to step outside the law. Unless you count underage drinking or the occasional (past) recreational drug use :)

Fri Mar 24, 09:34:00 AM  
Blogger Mocha said...

Cross Colours! Damn.

We had our own Brad back in the day. This chick Dana...she wanted so bad to be part of the crew that she invited us over to her parents mansion (yep it was), when they went on vacation. I called my boy, got his crew to crash the party, they robbed her blind and she was too scared to call the cops. We met up after and split the goods. At the time I justified it by saying she had so much shit anyway...

But like you said now: I think about right and wrong now. I no longer try to justify my fucked up actions. Besides, I'm too pretty for jail.

Fri Mar 24, 09:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you (allegedly) would put (allegedly) that out there like that whew. There’s nothing like having some suits all in your face and asking that fatal question “Do I need a lawyer? (allegedly)...LMAO
-c

Fri Mar 24, 10:20:00 AM  
Blogger Ms.Honey said...

Well Im' glad that you're mostly legal now LOL

Fri Mar 24, 10:50:00 AM  
Blogger Rashan Jamal said...

@ unsaid - I guess it probably best if you plead the fifth on this one.

@ nikki - the point of this post was that back then I didn't have personal accountability, but I do now

@ Chele - I was just joking about the cross colours. But that 151 is no joke. It took me some time before I got scared enough to stop.

@ Mocha - I never got gangsta with it, I got my MJ on... Ya know I was a Smooth Criminal.

@ C - see what I (allegedly)wrote to unsaid. I (allegedly) left out many details to protect the (allegedly) innocent. (allegedly)

@ honey-libra - I am 100% legal now, I even have car insurance which may not seem like a big deal to you, but I have an aversion to paying for something I might never use.

Fri Mar 24, 11:17:00 AM  
Blogger NegroPino™ said...

i FEEL U,...IM TOO PRETTY FOR JAIL OR TO FIGHT TOO......
:)

Fri Mar 24, 11:22:00 AM  
Blogger nikki said...

LOL@ms.new booty.

i think we can all say we're too pretty for jail and fighting.

Fri Mar 24, 01:42:00 PM  
Blogger Rashan Jamal said...

@ ms new booty and nikki

I can't imagine going to jail. I can't even front I would have to act up just so I could go to solitary. Not tryna to have my butthole's virginity took. As far as fighting, I can talk my way outta most any situation, so I'm not too worried bout that.

Fri Mar 24, 01:57:00 PM  
Blogger muffins gone WILD! said...

you took me back with that main source!!!! :)

Fri Mar 24, 02:08:00 PM  
Blogger Rashan Jamal said...

@ tigerkiss - LOL @ dry snitch. Man, I'm glad I didn't have to do it, but I might have.

@ muffin - I keep it early 90's hip hop around here. Main Source was the shit back then. What happened to them?

Sat Mar 25, 12:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's all good you know my dirt...(bb)

Fri Mar 31, 12:12:00 PM  
Blogger 柯云 said...

2016-07-22keyun
toms shoes
kids lebron shoes
ralph lauren clearance outlet
hollister clothing
hollister shirts
cheap oakley sunglasses
michael kors purses
red bottom shoes
kd 8
fitflop clearance
giuseppe zanotti outlet
coach factory outlet
coach outlet online
gucci outlet online
kd 7 shoes
toms shoes outlet
true religion jeans
christian louboutin sale
cheap ray ban sunglasses
cheap basketball shoes
toms wedges
coach outlet clearance
timberland boots
gucci belts
louis vuitton handbags
adidas trainers
louis vuitton purses
burberry sale
michael kors outlet online
nike air max 90
louis vuitton handbags
coach factory outlet
nike blazers shoes
kate spade outlet
adidas factory outlet
polo ralph lauren outlet
jordan retro 4
kobe 10
cheap jordans

Thu Jul 21, 09:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home