Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Movie Meme

I need to take a break from the Blog Real World for a minute (translation: I didn't write the next part) so I'm taking the easy way out and posting a meme. This one is short and it's about movies.

MOVIE MEME:

1. First movie you remember seeing on the big screen
I'm sure its not the first movie I saw, but back in 82, I was visiting my grandparents in Savannah. My grandfather was supposed to take me to see Rocky 2. Instead he took me to see Blade Runner and made me promise not to tell my grandmother since it was rated R. He made me cover my eyes during the nude scene. I remember not understanding that movie at all, and when I saw it last year, I was bored out of my skull.

2. Movie from which you can quote multiple lines in your sleep?
I can recite a few movies top to bottom. Pulp Fiction is one. I watch it every time it comes on cable. Friday is another one.When it first came out, I saw Friday with 2 different girls in one weekend. And everytime, I would smoke weed, we watched it on video.

3. Director (dead or alive) with whom you’d like to have dinner?
Alfred Hitchcock. His films were just so twisted. I can only imagine what he would do if he was alive now and didn't have to deal with censors.

4. Movie that should have won an Oscar but didn’t.
Malcolm X. That movie was just on such a grand scale. Everything about it screamed Oscar. It was well made, had great performances and was inspirational. Everything that the Oscars look for, except that pesky Blackness.

5. Movie that didn’t disappoint despite being an adaptation of a book.
I might be the only person who likes this movie, but I thought Beloved was a great adaptation of the novel.

6. Movie you were dragged to by someone else expecting to hate but loved.
Forrest Gump. I hate inspirational movies. I hate movies about retards. I wanted to avoid this movie at all costs. My ex girlfriend Lisa made me watch it and I started off mocking it, but by the end I was like "Run, Forrest, Run" like everyone else in the theater.

7. Movie that still scares the crap out of you no matter how many times you watch it.
The Exorcist. Something about the religious overtones of the movie still bothers me. I can watch the goriest movies and they don't bother me, but the idea of being possesed gets under my skin. You would think I was Catholic or something.

8. Movie that still makes you bawl no matter how many times you see it.
I don't cry at movies... except once. I cried after watching "City of Angels." I think it was the sad music, but dammit, I punked out when Nicholas Cage gave up being an angel and Meg Ryan died and left him alone.

9. Movie that still has you rolling around on the floor with laughter no matter how many times you’ve seen it.
There are a few. Right now its the 40 Year Old Virgin. The original Friday and Half Baked are still on the list. For some reason, Adam Sandler movies always crack me up too.

10 Favorite movie from before you were born: I like the old black and white movies. Casablanca, Citizen Kane, The Maltese Falcon, Arsenic and Old Lace, etc.. But I would have to say that the Godfather is my favorite from before I was born. It came out in 72, and I was born in 74.

11. Random movie fact about you:
I got 2:
1: I want to watch every movie on the AFI list of 100 best movies. I'm about halfway through the list. I already know that the last 2 I watch are going to be Gone With The Wind and Birth of a Nation. I'm gonna have to force myself to watch those racist movies. I was planning on finishing this list by the end of the year, but I became obsessed with blogging and that took up all my spare time.

2. When i first moved down south, I used to lie and tell people that I was in Beat Street. I told them I was one of the extras in the kids breakdance crew. This was before people could just pop in the video whenever they wanted to and call me out.

12. Have you been in any movies? No, but they filmed Glory in Savannah while I was living there and a lot of people I know were cast as extras.

It was written...

9 Comments:

Blogger 1969 said...

MALCOLM X WAS ROBBED. Plain and Simple. And Denzel should have won an Oscar for the scene where Sam Cooke is singing " A Change is Gonna Come" and he is rolling down the street to the Audobon Ballroom.
I'm mad just thinking about it.

Wed Sep 20, 10:56:00 AM  
Blogger NegroPino™ said...

Imma let u slide this time.....but Ill be back

Wed Sep 20, 11:47:00 AM  
Blogger TTD said...

i liked beloved too..

i didnt get citizen kane.. not like understand it.. but the big hype about it.. i just didnt see why..

Wed Sep 20, 12:19:00 PM  
Blogger Miz JJ said...

Forrest Gump is one of those movies that was good at the time, but has aged very, very poorly. At the time it seemed like it should be Pulp Fiction, but looking back on it now it's embarassing that it beat Pulp Fiction for best picture.

Wed Sep 20, 01:03:00 PM  
Blogger onefromphilly said...

I think I know the whole Godfather dialog. I have got to stop watching that movie, but I love it!

@1969 SO CORRECT ! that was the best movie and thee best scene. I sing along everytime I watch it.

Wed Sep 20, 02:16:00 PM  
Blogger Knockout Zed said...

I know every fuckin' word to Dolemite. Sad but true.

And I cry at the end of Malcolm X almost everytime.

I've been in quite a few movies...I was nekkid and they starred nekkid women.

KZ

Wed Sep 20, 03:45:00 PM  
Blogger Angel said...

"give us us free!" ok, so i know that wasn't "malcolm x" but that's what i always think about when i think about fabulous Black actors/actresses being robbed for their pivotal roles, then being applauded for what could easily be classified as "hot ass mess!" damn halle scary talking about "make me feel guuuuuuudddddd..." i tell you what, i wish i had two more hands because i'd give her ass four thumbs down! LOL

Wed Sep 20, 07:38:00 PM  
Blogger Tenacious said...

when i get a minute I'll do this one, but the exorcist is lame I'm sorry. Not one thing is scary from that movie...

Wed Sep 20, 09:12:00 PM  
Blogger 4EverJennayNay said...

i think you are alone on that exorcist bit...

i don't know many people over the age of 15 that are affected by that movie. 10 yrs ago it was a different story tho. you gotta shock folk before they are scared any more.

I havent' seen the 40 yr old virgin yet, but I need to. My co-workers are constantly quoting it.

Fri Sep 22, 08:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home