Inspiration - "T.R.O.Y." Pete Rock and CL Smooth "strive to be live 'cause I got no choice/And run my own business like my Aunt Joyce/So Pete Rock hit me, nuff respect due/When they reminisce over you, listen"
What I'm Listening To - "Parade - Music from Under The Cherry Moon" - Prince
Question(s) I Asked Myself Today - "Blogger don't want me to post pictures?" I took the time to find pictures to illustrate this post, but I can't upload them. You'll just have to use your imagination.
A few months back I did a post about old cartoons
I used to watch back in the day. I intended to do a follow up post about Prime Time TV, but my ADD kicked in and I moved on to something else. Well now that I can’t think of anything else to write about, what better time than to resurrect an old post? For the youngsters out there, I apologize in advance. Tenacious
this means you. We bout to take a journey back to the 80’s.
Here are some of my favorite back in the day TV shows broken down by category:Action Shows (Cops and PI's and stuff like that)Knight Rider
- I loved KITT's smartass comments to Michael Knight. I think this is where i first learned to be sarcastic. I also used to pretend my sofa was KITT and I was Michael Knight. What are you talking about? That wasn't just yesterday. It was last week. LOLThe A - Team
- This show is stupid now as an adult. They always did the same thing every episode. Run from the military cops, solve a mystery, shoot up Mr. T with some drug so they can get him on a plane, then just narrowly miss the Military Police again. And how come nobody ever died? They would empty a clip or blow up a car and nobody even got hurt.Miami Vice
- This was my first grown up show. I didn't know about blow, but I was fascinated with the criminal lifestyle depicted on this show. Crockett and Tubbs were some cool ass undercover cops. I still catch this every now again on TV Land and its still good. The music on the show was tight too.Magnum PI
- This was my favorite show in the late 80's, probably cuz he drove a Ferrari. Magnum also didn't carry a gun except in extreme cases. He solved his crimes with his brain and his Black homeboy with the helicopter.Spenser for Hire
- I watched this show for one reason only: Hawk. He was the cool Black sidekick who was about 2 steps away from being a pimp and packed a .45. I don't even remember anything else about the show, except Spenser was a private eye and solved crimes that the police couldn't solve.Honorable Mention
- MacGyver, Riptide, The Equalizer, Remington Steele and Dukes of Hazzard.Comedy (Shows that made me laugh)The Cosby Show
- I got to start with this one because it was consistently funny for years. Now a days its on all the damn time and I think I can remember every episode up until Cousin Pam came. I think I stopped watching around then.Alice
- I used to wait all episode to hear Flo say "Mel, kiss my grits" I thought that was a curse word back in the day. LOLThe Jeffersons
- George and Weezy was the shit. I imitated George's pimpwalk as a kid. And Florence always had some smart ass comment to add.Different Strokes
- I only had room for one show featuring a Black midget being saved by a White family, so I watched this instead of Webster. The very special episodes were hilarious to me even then. They would try to inject social commentary in the episodes. Like when Arnold got hooked up with the creepy pedophile. I know it was supposed to be serious because there was no laugh track, but it still was funny to me.Facts of Life
- One word: TootieHonorable Mention
- Family Ties, Gimme a Break, Benson, TV's Bloopers & Practical Jokes, Whos the BossDrama(shows with little or no violence that grown folks watched)Murder She Wrote
- Man, Jessica Fletcher was always solving some murder that just so happened to coincide with her being around. They never showed the actual murder, so I put it here instead of with the action shows. I used to try to figure out who the murderer was before Jessica figured it out, but I always ended up guessing that she was the culprit. Angela Lansbury was a damn serial killer, yo!!!L.A. Law
- I wanted to be a lawyer as a kid. I was really digging this show because I thought it was teaching me. Then I grew up and realized that court wasn't sensational like on TV.Dallas/Dynasty
- See, what had happened was... I was watching these because my sister, yeah, thats it my sister (are you reading this?) liked these shows. I was too manly to watch this crap. LOL
Anyway, I didnt watch too many dramas back in the day. So, lets move on.Other (Various left over stuff)Unsolved Mysteries
- I don't know why I watched this show, it scared the bejesus out of me. I think it was the creepy music. Every time this show came on, I thought I saw a fugitive at the bus stop the next morning at school. I once convinced myself that my principal was actually a murderer I saw on Unsolved Mysteries. Even as a child, I had an overactive imagination.MTV and other video shows
- I was really into the White bands back then like Duran Duran and The Police. I blame/give credit to MTV not showing Black artists. In New York, there was a video show that came on at midnight on Friday nights called Hot Traxx. It showed the Black videos. I used to try to stay up, but usually fell asleep during the show. I used to have nightmares about Stephanie Mills and Reebie Jackson because the show came on too late. Remember that video for "Centipede?" That shit haunted me. And Stephanie Mill's "Mama Gonna Give You Some Medicine" video used to fuck up my sleep too.Movies of the Week
- I was living in New York when the "Atlanta Child Murders" movie came on TV. I swore that Wayne Williams was going to come and kill me. I know, I was a punk. I also liked the MOW because it was something new every week. Real People
- This show was just about people embarrassing themselves to get on TV. They would do the stupidest shit for attention. My favorite was the body contortionist that stuffed herself into a little box. Nowadays, you can see people embarrassing themselves every night. They call it reality TV.Sports
- I loved (and still do love) sports. I can still name just about all the members of the 1986 New York Mets. Really, I can do it. Ask Nikki
if you dont believe me. The Mets came on channel 9 and the Yankees on channel 11. I couldn't like both teams so I loved the Mets and hated the Yankees (except Reggie Jackson). In football, I would watch Monday Night Football on channel 7 and the Jets always played on Channel 4. I watched basketball alot too. I been a Knicks fan since 1983 (Have I said, Fuck Isaiah Thomas lately?) and living in NY, I got to see all their games on TV.Okay, that was my walk down memory lane. Did you watch any of these? What did I leave out? What shows did you watch back in the 80's? Let me know in the comments section.
It was written...